Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Me

Couldn't figure out what to write about so I guess I will give you a little (more) on me.

I am one of those incredibly simple, yet insanely complex people. I love all things simple and I love all things complex and not much in the middle. I am a rule girl. I color inside the lines. When I encounter something and there are no rules for it, I am shocked and it takes a moment for me to compose my thoughts and find what I will do. I start by making up my own rules. Once they are defined my world starts moving again. I don't know why I am like this. Both my parents say I have always been like this - from day one. I am working on moving outside my comfort zone and trying new things. If you ever read "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson ( a family requisite) I am the mouse who is frozen by change and then, near death, just adjusts and makes a late, but slow recovery. Whether the change waits for me or not, over time I process it, sometimes quicker than others, then one day I wake up and I like that change. The change has become my new everyday. No problem. All of my ducks are in a row. Just don't stray from the new change. Just kidding. No really don't. Kidding. No. (Sorry couldn't help it - totally lol right now.) I am also a mover and a shaker. Depending on the event and whatnot I can move/adjust faster than most people. Figure that one out.

I love mac 'n cheese, pbj sandwiches and at the same time I love eating out at incrediby expensive restaurants. One of my favorite things to do is go out to dinner and a movie. Too bad now it is about a $75 date. Sadly, I remember when movies cost $3 and when the dollar movies really were $1. I remember when gas was 1.25 a gallon. I remember when stamps were only 37 cents - gotcha! That just happened about two months ago.

I love a pair of jeans after I have worn them a few times. They are broken in and fit like a glove. I love white t-shirts and white tank tops. I love flip flops and tennis shoes. I love my new car. Well it is still new to me even after a year. I actually got to go out and pick out any car I wanted. Okay, within reason. I had a spending limit. I have always had a used Honda. Now having used is not bad. It gets you from point A to point B, but there is nothing like a new car. Never been owned by anyone else. I can break it in (without the dents). I bought a VW Golf. And I love it. LOVE IT! It has a CD player, a rear windshield wiper, power everything, automatic defrost mirrors (haven't seen those work yet), a smaller steering wheel, a really cool remote key and oh so much more. I love going to the grocery store just to open my hatchback to put the groceries in it.

I love breakfast foods. Blueberry pancakes, bacon, eggs, chorizo, sausage, ham, quiche, waffles, cereal - I would eat cereal for every meal if I could get away with it. At least twice a week, I eat it for more than one meal. I eat from the biggest cereal bowl. And my milk is always spilling over. And I love the original cereal, not the imitation. I will pay $5 for a box of cereal although you can get it for $2 at Target. Even my cat loves cereal. My Izabel (long haired cat) loves to eat fruit loops. When she was just six weeks old she would perch on my shoulder as I leaned against the wall on the floor of my apartment. I didn't have money for a couch yet. So I sat on the floor. As I brought my spoon to my mouth she would lean forward on my shoulder and lick the milk from the spoon. Ewww, I know. Don't care. Yes, my cats can pass for my kids occasionally. I don't care how crazy anyone thinks I am. I love my cats.

I have three cat trees in my house, a window perch and about six other smaller cat condos. I baby talk to my cats. I tell stories, I sing, I make kissing noises. You name it. I embarrass myself and I don't care. My Izabel was dropped off at my apartment when I was in college. An aquaintance of mine found her in a grocery store parking lot and knew I wanted a pet. I had never owned a cat before. She is a Maine Coon. I grew up with Yorkshire Terriers. I fell instantly in love. She was so small she fit in my palm. She would take naps in my tennis shoes and gnaw on the heel. She would sleep in the crevice of my neck at night; as she got older she would drape herself across my neck like a shawl. She still does this. Can be painful as she weighs 13 lbs now. When she was a kitten, she would run around so fast she would hit the wall and do somersalts off it. Swear! It was a sight to see. She also talks to me. She will repeat the last syllable sound I make. (My favorite for her to mimic is - Huh? How's my baby, huh? Did she have a good day today, huh?) She also caterwauls at night in the hallway and trills (whistles) at you when she is really excited about something. She loves sitting in baskets. She loves cat treats. She will do anything for a treat. She is truly my baby. When I lived with my parents after college my mother would say if you find Izabel I will be right around the corner. She doesn't really like anyone else. I love this too. She is so beautiful though. She really pulls people in. She looks so sweet and loving. She trills at new people. They get closer and closer, if I am paying attention I always say "she bites." They stop and look at me while they process this information. They look back at her. I follow that up with "she pulls you in and then she will bite you." Nine times out of ten they don't believe me. She is that pretty. It isn't that she is mean. I think she doesn't realize until it is too late she doesn't want you to touch her. She just wants to smell your hand or face. Then she wants to be left alone. She likes things her way. She doesn't really care what anyone else thinks. When I first moved in with my husband, Izabel would lay in all of the doorways. My husband would try to sweep her to the side, out of the way. She would hiss and spit and try to bite him. I kept telling him to just leave her and step over her. He kept saying it was his house and he wouldn't step over her. I think he gave up because she still lays in the doorway.

Tuesday is my love bug. She is a British Shorthair. You can hang her by her feet and she will still lick your face. She loves people. I adopted her from my vet's office. I got Tuesday because I was moving into my apartment and I didn't want Izabel to be lonely during the day. Needless to say Izabel doesn't like her - jealous. Tuesday loves to drink out of your glass and keep an eye on your ham sandwich at all times. She loves ham and most other human food. She also loves dog food. She spends many mornings with one arm under the pantry door trying to get the dog food which fell on the floor when my son fed the dogs. She follows my husband around all day long. She jumps on his desk and lays on his laptop, rolls over for belly scratches sending anonymous emails to Tokyo I am sure. He works at home and I think after the first day with him Tues just fell in love. I keep saying I am going to put a camera on Tues then I will know exactly what my husband does all day. He actually has a space for her on his desk (he says he is really a dog person) and if he happens to put paper there she knocks it off and then lays down. Tuesday is beautiful to me too, but cute as in "she is so cute I want to pinch her cheeks and rub noses with her." She has this outline around her heart shaped nose and mouth that makes her look like she has professional makeup on. When she is hungry she meows really loud and quickly like it was too much to contain and it just burst from her. She is Houdini. She can get out of anywhere and go anywhere. She likes to hike her way to the top of our cabinets - up on the counter, to the fridge, to on top of the cabinets and she looks down on her "little people." DH and I have constant conversations about what she is thinking about up there. She is constantly watching the doors and she senses when someone is weak and won't close the door. I would go outside at night to throw something in the trash bin and she would come out from under the car and meow. How she got out I have no idea, especially when no one opened a door for hours. We try hard to keep her inside because the neighbor dogs would love to have her for dinner. I know she would rather be out cruisin the neighborhood, but I'd like to keep her around. I think it is part of the fun too just to see if she can get out. When I lived at my parent's house she would go out the dog door - no way around that one. To this day I still hear stories about random people in my parent's neighborhood who knew Tues. She touched so many lives.

I love that both of my cats expect respect. I love that they have such incredible personalities. I love that they love me. They greet me at the door everyday and meow at me when I wake up. They need me as much as I need them. That kind of love amazes me.

I love to read. I read all sorts of books, magazines, ezines, newspapers. I believe it is unamerican to not order the newspaper. Why, I have no idea, it just feels that way. I love books about people's lives. In no particular order - James Patterson, Jodi Picoult, Iris Johansen - wow I can't think of any other authors, but I have many. I tend to find a book I love and then read all the author's other books. I would love to have a book club some day. When I was little and would dream about being married (yes all women do that), I would picture myself reading in bed next to my husband. Odd, but my husband doesn't really like to read.

I love music. I think music is the key to one's soul. I listen to music all the time. I love the 80's and 90's. My favorite song is Landslide by Stevie Knicks. But I also love "Lady in Red" by Chris De Burgh, "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel and "Crazy" by Aerosmith (of course). My CDs are pretty eclectic I think - Evanescense, Jo Jo, Fergie, Anna Nalick, Dave Matthews Band, George Strait (love Pure Country), Plain White T's, Jessica Simpson and Ashley Simpson, Avril Lavigne, Guns N Roses. I think I favor all girl bands. I tend to listen to those most often. When I buy a CD I like to listen to my favorite songs over and over again until I know the words by heart. Then I listen to the rest of the CD.

Favorite TV shows right now are Big Love, Army Wives - I am fascinated by people's lives that are so different from mine - oh and Desperate Housewives - occasionally not too far off from my life.

I love movies too. I love to watch the same movie over and over and over again. This drives my husband nuts. He will come in, look at the TV and ask "Didn't you watch this yesterday?" I am thinking "Yes, didn't you ask me that yesterday." When I was in college I would lay in bed all day and watch old movies on channels like TNT because they would just play the same movie repeatedly. Worked for me.

My favorite question, I think, is WHY? I always like to know the reason for everything. I like to know why people do things. I like to know why things are done a certain way. If you want me to answer something I need background. I like a point of reference.

Okay so this is definitely more information than you anyone probably wants to know about me, but hey that's a perk. It is my blog.

1 comment:

IamDerby said...

I love James Patterson too! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Oh and congrats on winning the free book!