Saturday, September 1, 2007

Toilets & Flugal Binders

Okay so get ready for this post because the title really says it all. On my last trip through the airport I noticed a brand new invention in the rest room. I wish I could find a picture for you, actually I wish I had taken a picture, but since it was really, really early in the morning my brain wasn't quite awake yet. Anyway, it was an automatic toilet seat cover. You know the paper covers you pull out from above the toilet and place on the seat before you sit? Well this one was already wrapped around the seat like saran wrap and when you pushed a button it rotated around to supply a fresh cover. This is not something I have seen before. Very cool. Made me wonder how many seat covers that little device provided before it ran out. I actually sent my husband in to look at it.

As a child, I was extremely fascinated by bathrooms. It was a long running joke that anywhere we had been I would be able to describe the bathroom to you. I honestly think I did (uhm, do) this is because there are so many really interesting things to look at and play with in the bathrooms. And I love inventions. Going out to the bars with my girlfriends, I loved the bathroom with the window that was connected to the men's bathroom. It was about 2'x2' and was above the sink. At first you didn't notice it and then you realized those were real men looking back at you. Kind of weird and kind of cool. Saw a bathroom on CSI where when you close the door the walls went from clear glass windows to fogged windows. So you could only see shadows when the door was closed.

Other bathroom inventions: the automatic hand dryers. This invention is really kind of boring, but does serve a purpose. That is, IF you wash you hands. As a total side note: Only 1 in 6 people actually wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Think of this the next time you are out with five other friends. Incredibly gross thought!! I love the idea of the automatic hand dryer, but isn't the purpose of automatic hand dryers to eliminate the touch factor reducing germs? If so, then why do most of them require you touch a button to turn them on?

There is the automatic sink that turns on when you put your hands underneath it. Well, it is supposed to do that. I think sometimes I don't have whatever it is that you need to turn the sink on because it doesn't seem to recognize my hands. I am the weirdo moving my hands under the sink for an hour in frustration because it just won't turn on. I just recently saw a tv special about getting these put in your home to reduce the waste of water. I would love these because I am trying to become a little more green and save water, but I think I would die of frustration because they just don't work for me. Can you imagine a shower that only turns on when you stand under it?

There is my all time favorite - the automatic toilet flusher. You knew this was coming right?? I love this invention because it not only turns on when I stand up; it turns on when I enter the stall; as I am sitting down on the toilet and while I am sitting on the toilet. This thing is a complete over acheiver. Absolutely does it's job at every possible moment. Don't you think they ought to invent some sort of magnet to signal the toilet to flush when the door is opened?

What about the automatic towel dispenser? Now I swear I am not wasteful, but couldn't they have allowed the towels to be a little bigger. It is like dispensing a tissue to wipe off your hands. And again, being the complete germ freak that I am, I like use the paper towel to open the door, but they don't put the trash can by the door. Small dilema.

Not to mention, you would think that they would invent some sort of automatic trash can too. One that would open so that after using all these wonderful inventions to protect you from germs, you wouldn't have to touch the really nasty trash can that needed to be taken out a week ago.

Remember the movie, "Cocktail" with Tom Cruise? When they were in Jaimaca and he was showing Elizabeth Shue the drink umbrella and telling her about all the flugal binders out there. I completely relate to this. I too am fascinated by all the inventions out there that we take for granted everyday.

What is your favorite flugal binder?

No comments: